Suggestions for a SLR camera

Pretty much all topics here.
rensu_2
Fobabee
Fobabee

Suggestions for a SLR camera

Post by rensu_2 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:19 pm

Anyone has any recommendation on SLR camera I need one with good lens, I'm leaning towards the Canon 500D with 18-55mm lens kit not sure how that compares with the rest, also one that would work well with the nights as well and not become grainy, any site that would help would be great too.

NightSheep
Fobabee
Fobabee

Re: Suggestions for a SLR camera

Post by NightSheep » Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:09 pm

Sounds like you are looking for a magic bullet which has it all. I have to disappoint you that there is no such camera. Not even in the professional segment.

Dpreview (http://www.dpreview.com) is THE website for all your camera questions. It's not a forum, it's a review page with all useful information.

As for the 18-55 kit-lens supplied with the 500D, it is not suitable for night shots. But then again, which lens is? Personally I try to buy only lenses with f 2.8 or better (lower nr).

Besides the Canon 500D, which camera do you have your eye on as well?

rensu_2
Fobabee
Fobabee

Post by rensu_2 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:13 am

Yer my friend is telling me get the body 500D, and get the lens separate, as the lens kit that comes with the 500D is not that great. I looked at the 50D but I don't think i need video recording. I'm just a beginner that site you gave me is perfect. I haven't looked at the brands, got to do a bit of read up.

rensu_2
Fobabee
Fobabee

Post by rensu_2 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:56 am

Hmm been reading up and everything seems to be pointing to the midrange entry Canon 50D with 17-55mm 2.8 Lens... man the lens cost as much as the 50D body itself hahaha.... the features and it's ability looks pretty exciting, I'll check it out tmw, hope my tax return covers the bill

NightSheep
Fobabee
Fobabee

Post by NightSheep » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:47 pm

If you are referring to the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM, yes that is quite an expensive "has it all" lens (for regular photography). It has a wide aperture opening and it has IS + USM. But it comes with a price as well.

Personally, I rather get 2 cheaper lenses then. Such as:
Tamron 17-50mm F 2,8 Di II Canon EOS
OR
Tamron 28-75mm F 2.8 XR DI Canon (I am using this one as my primary lens)

AND
Some macro or prime lens such
Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM,
Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 USM Macro

Those Tamron lenses don't got IS. But to be honest... I find IS more like a "nice to have" rather then "must have".

rensu_2
Fobabee
Fobabee

Post by rensu_2 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:29 pm

I just got the 50D body plus 17-55mm f2.8 lens !! That lens is so fast. I don't think i need a macro lens "for now :> " but I might need a long rang lens, I haven't read up about tamron lens, how much cheaper are they ? I took a couple of macro shots with the 17-55 and I got to say they really came out pretty good..... I'm touring Japan next week, but it's raining so crazily, I think i might be able to get some good shots still with B&W or even portraits in colour with the blurring background and the rain would make it extra special. Man this is a expensive hobby, I already need another lens to zoom from further away, i might get a cheaper one. Still need to get the hood to protect it from the rain. Addition to that filters and a tripod and a camera equipment bag.... so much to spend, i'll probably get it in japan lot more cheaper and the lens are international warranty anyways..

Take a look at this photo, this was taken in Sydney Australia with a Canon 300D with a 30 second exposure it looks amazing !!!! http://www.flickr.com/photos/itsartdamm ... otostream/

EDIT: ok scrap what i said about the macro lens... I'm reading up your recommendations now.. haha, macros are just too good to play with

NightSheep
Fobabee
Fobabee

Post by NightSheep » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:58 pm

Oh yeah... lightning photo's are crazy. I have been waiting for quite a time now for a storm... but we always have nice weather here :'(

I think for the first 5 years, you won't need any other 17-55 lens anymore...

When I travel around, I usually use the hood to protect my lens from bumping up to other people. I rather they break the hood then the lens... (besides it sometimes looks cool as well :D)

I got a 28-75 2.8 Tamron lens because I love to be able to shoot people from a distance when I am travelling. I am just not that fond of wide angle shots. Wide angle shots are usually for parties and group shots. Besides, with the greater focal length, this lens can make images with more beautiful blur 8)