JJ Abrams' Star Trek

Reviews and comments about MOVIES, Series and Music.
totsubo
Producer
Producer

JJ Abrams' Star Trek

Post by totsubo » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:17 pm

I wonder if this film will be a "reboot" of the StarTrek universe. I think the StarTrek universe needs one.

ralphrepo
Experienced
Experienced

Re: JJ Abrams' Star Trek

Post by ralphrepo » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:39 pm

You're right.

I think the Star Trek universe, as it had been known, is dead. The fan base just isn't there anymore. It may have had a chance for revival with Enterprise's slot, but I think the franchise made a fatal mistake in trying to retell a story from Trek's grandfather generation. Instead of new and cool things being discovered, they had to try to shoe horn new stories into much older and already known tech. That is, what surprises could there be? I had been hoping for a series that perhaps detailed the Federations attempts at finding the lost star ship Voyager, which could then find snippets of references to that old crew while discovering new and better sci-fi. But they then announced Enterprise and I myself immediately lost interest. I'm sure much of the fan base reacted in the same way, there just wasn't anything new to it. Once they successfully alienated their core crowd but before getting a new following, they essentially slit their own throats.

:roll:

totsubo
Producer
Producer

Re: JJ Abrams' Star Trek

Post by totsubo » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:55 pm

It's official. It is a reboot.